Mrs. Yanoschak and Mrs. Harrell's Kindergarten Newsletter
December 18, 2017 - January 5, 2018
Wednesday, December 20th is an early dismissal day - 11:40 am. There will be NO LEAP. Christmas Break begins Thursday, December 21st - January 2nd. School will resume on Wednesday, January 3rd and the third quarter of school begins! We wish you all a blessed Christmas and a terrific New Year!
We will be attending the 8:15 am Mass in the church with our kinderbuddies on Friday, January 5th.
Wednesday, January 10th is a Dress Down Day!
The First Semester Report Card will be sent home on Wednesday, January 10th. Please sign and return the report card envelope by Friday, January 13th. You may keep the report card!
There will be NO SCHOOL on Monday, January 15th in recognition of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
Catholic Schools Week begins with the 9:00 am Mass on Sunday, January 28th. The Distinguished Graduate Award will be given during this Mass. Catholic Schools Week will continue through Friday, February 2nd.
Our Open House is scheduled for Wednesday, January 31st. New families will tour the school from 6:00 - 7:00 pm and current families will tour the school from 7:00 - 8:00 pm. Please come to the Open House to view the beautiful Art and Science Fair projects on display!
We will review several of the reading skills this week and the week we return from Christmas break.
- Review Letterland characters/letter sounds: Annie Apple, Bouncy Ben, Clever Cat, Dippy Duck, Eddy Elephant, Firefighter Fred, Golden Girl, Harry Hatman, Impy Ink, Jumping Jim, Kicking King, Lucy Lamplight, Noisy Nick, Oscar Orange, Peter Puppy, Quarrelsome Queen, Red Robot, Sammy Snake, Talking Tess, Uppy Umbrella, Vicky Violet, Walter Walrus, Fix-It-Max, Yellow Yo-Yo Man, and Zig Zag Zebra
- Identify rhyming words in stories and poems
- Review letters/sounds: Mm, Ss, Aa, Tt, Cc, Pp, Nn, Ff, Bb
- Identify beginning, middle and ending letter sounds to words
- Review sight words: I, like, the, and, we, a, to, come, me, you, what, are, now
- Blend onset with rime (p-at / pat) and segment onset with rime (cab / c-ab)
- Review word families: -ab, -ad, -ag, -am, -an, -ap, -at
- Review first and second quarter sight words on word wall
- Review number words and color words (adjectives)
- Review nouns as naming words
- Review verbs as action words
- Review past tense verbs
- Review story structure ( characters, setting and events)
- Discuss the main idea of each story
The children will be able to explore all centers.
The children will identify, compare and order numbers from one to thirty-one.
The children will listen to and discuss several Bible stories.
We will be begin reading about the season of winter.
Our Star Student for the week is Elizabeth McGrail. Please send a photo of your child to school on Monday, so that we may use it for a writing activity.
Kinder Book Club Reader:
Our Kinder Book Club reader for the week is Chase Conklin. Please send a book on Thursday that your child would like for us to read to the class.
- Please send a snack with your child every day including early dismissal days.
- The weather is getting colder and our recess time is early in the morning. Please send your child to school with a warm coat, hat and gloves each day.
Mrs. Yanoschak and Mrs. Harrell