Mrs. Yanoschak and Mrs. Harrell's Kindergarten Newsletter
May 14, 2018 - May 18, 2018
This is our final newsletter for this school year! We have had an amazing year with your children! Thank you so much for choosing Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic School.
Tuesday, May 15th is Second Grade's Garage Sale! Second Grade's Garage Sale is a fund raiser. All proceeds are donated to Catholic Parish Outreach and Helping Hands Medical Missions. Your child can purchase fun toys, books and other items at the garage sale. If you would like for your child to participate, then please send with your child a few dollars in an envelope with your child's name on it. The Wednesday Mailer will provide more information.
Both Kindergarten classes will be hosting an ice cream social for our eighth grade buddies on Tuesday, May 15th at 2:00 pm. Mrs. Wasco will be contacting you about donating supplies and treats for the party. The kindergartners are looking forward to spending time with their eighth grade buddies before their buddies graduate!
On Friday, May 18th, we will be sending home all of your child's school belongings. The rest mats, crayons, markers, pencil boxes and old workbooks. We will not need any of these items for the rest of the year.
We will be celebrating our last day of school with a picnic for both kindergarten classes on the playground on Tuesday, May 22nd. The picnic will begin around 10:15 am and end at 11:15 am. Please bring a lunch, drink and blanket for you and your family. Younger siblings are welcome to attend! If it should rain, then the picnic will be canceled. You will need to come to the classroom at 11:15 am and sign your child out of school. Report cards will also be given on Tuesday, May 22nd! You can keep the report card and envelope.
Reading Highlights: (We are using Reading A to Z books for the rest of the year.)
- Review Letterland characters/letter sounds: Annie Apple, Bouncy Ben, Clever Cat, Dippy Duck, Eddy Elephant, Firefighter Fred, Golden Girl, Harry Hatman, Impy Ink, Jumping Jim, Kicking King, Lucy Lamplight, Noisy Nick, Oscar Orange, Peter Puppy, Quarrelsome Queen, Red Robot, Sammy Snake, Talking Tess, Uppy Umbrella, Vicky Violet, Walter Walrus, Fix-It-Max, Yellow Yo-Yo Man, and Zig Zag Zebra
- Identify rhyming words in stories and poems
- Review letters/sounds: Mm, Ss, Aa, Tt, Cc, Pp, Nn, Ff, Bb, Ii, Gg, Rr, Dd, Oo, Jj, Xx, Ee, Hh, Kk, Uu, Ll, Ww,Vv, Zz, Yy, Qq
- Identify rule of two vowels go out walking - the first vowel does the talking and becomes a long vowel sound: ai, ay, ea, ee, ie, oa, ue
- Identify Magic e rule - silent e is at the end of a word and will make a short vowel sound become a long vowel sound: cap/cape, pet/Pete, pin/pine, hop/hope, cut/cute
- Identify beginning, middle and ending letter sounds to words
- Review sight words: I, like, the, and, we, a, to, come, me, you, what, are, now, is, how, find, this, will, be, go, for, make, play, said, good, she, all, he, no, do, down, have, help, look, out, take, off
- Blend onset with rime (p-at / pat) and segment onset with rime (cab / c-ab)
- Review L blends: bl, cl, fl, gl, pl, sl
- Review R blends: br, cr, dr, fr, gr, pr, tr
- Review S blend words: sc, sk, sl, sm, sn, sp, st, sw
- Review word families: -ab, -ad, -ag, -am, -an, -ap, -at, -ed, -en, -ep, -et, -ib, -id, -ig, -ip, -in, -it, -ob, -od, -og, -om, -on, -op, -ox, -ub, -ud, -ug, -um, -un, -up and -ut
- Track syllables in several words
- Read fourth quarter sight words
- Review first, second and third quarter sight words on word wall
- Review number words and color words (adjectives)
- Identify proper nouns
- Identify pronouns
- Review nouns as naming words
- Review verbs as action words
- Review verbs in the future tense
- Review past tense verbs
- Identify words with multiple meanings
- Correct capitalization and punctuation for statements
- Review story structure (characters, setting and events)
- Discuss the main idea of each story
- Teacher Table - read leveled books
- Work on Writing - write in the journal on any topic
- Word Work - color, cut and paste word family sentence
- Listening - listen to story on CD then complete reading log
We will continue to measure objects. The children will compare size, length, and height of different items.
We will read Bible stories this week!
We will read Father's Day stories!
Everyone has been a Star Student! We are proud of our Star Students this year!
Kinder Book Club Reader:
Everyone has been a Kinder Book Club Reader! We enjoyed listening to all of the wonderful stories shared with the class!
- Please send a snack with your child every day including early dismissal days.
Mrs. Yanoschak and Mrs. Harrell